Timothy Richards Home The Temple of the Four Winds- Single Model- 1728
Limited edition of 50
Canadian Content
Single Bookends
Matched Bookends

Split Pair Bookends
Doorway Bookends
Single Models

Limited Editions

Signed and Dated
Commissioned Works




About Timothy Richards
How to Buy
Contact Us
 
 
This small Temple was built east of the 17th century Baroque house of Castle Howard in Yorkshire. It is situated on a promontory of high ground and looks across a wooded valley to a lake below, forming a perfect landscape setting for one of the finest Palladium buildings of Europe. In 1995 the Honourable Simon and Mrs. Howard commissioned this model from Timothy Richards. Each model is accompanied by a signed certificate from the Honourable Simon Howard who is the direct descendent of Charles Howard, 3rd Earl of Carlisle who commissioned the original temple in 1724 from the architect Sir John Vanbrugh. At the start of Sir John Vanbrugh’s career he designed the large house at Castle Howard and during his final years he was involved in the design of this temple.

This magnificent model is in the round. The model is constructed of over 100 pieces. A number of these details are cast in lead. These include the statuary urns and the four roof finials as well as the top cupola roof. The dome is layered up by hand using lead sheet as in the original. All lead is patinated with acid, chemically ageing the material in a similar way to that of the natural weathering process. Each model has a hand engraved brass plate numbered and cut individually. The worldwide edition is of 50 pieces of which 18 have been sold. These are signed, numbered and dated. Ideally this piece should be positioned where it can be viewed from all sides. A hole has been cut through the plinth and the base of the model allowing light to be projected into its centre from below when placed on a glass top surface. This adds a further dimension to the ways in which it may be displayed. Models are made to order. Diameter of base plinth is 20".